Carnival in Playa de Aro 2020.
Attention, attention! The Mayor’s Office of Playa de Aro warns all residents and visitors of the city – from February 15 to 26, 2020 a merciless and uncompromising carnival will fall upon us. To prepare in advance for this
natural disaster holiday, please read its program on the Playa de Aro website (unfortunately, the program is available only in the Spanish and Catalan versions of the site); at the bottom of the page there is a Descarga PDF link – you can download a file with more detailed information in Catalan.
If you do not have time or have problems with the Catalan, we will try to note the most interesting among the most important events of the carnival:
1. Sunday, February 16th.
- 11:00 – children’s holiday performed by the company “Soy la fiesta”, which begins on the main street in S’Agaro, and then proceeds towards the beach of San Pol.
- 16:00 – the same holiday, but already in Playa de Aro, in the area of C / Pineda de Mar.
2. Wednesday February 19th.
- 17: 00-19: 00 – carnival race with obstacles along the streets of the city. In order to participate in this exciting performance, you must first sign up by WhatsApp 691 675 143, or send an application to e-mail [email protected].
- 21:00 – butifarrada – group eating of traditional Catalan sausages at the Palace of Sports and Congresses of Playa de Aro. If anyone does not know, this is an official name of the big building with a sports hall, located in a large paid parking lot in the city center. To get your sausage, you need to buy a ticket worth 1 Euro at the Tourism Office, which is located in the city hall.
3. Thursday, February 20th.
- 5:00 in the morning – this time in itself causes holy horror. Yes, it is, the most hellish of carnival events is the city wake-up. A carnival cart with enormous speakers travels through the city streets, from which a huge avalanche of music hits you at great volume. Usually you can listen to this kind of music at modern discotheques only by decently refueling with alcohol or other chemicals. Certainly, it is at such moments that you understand the value of owning real estate on Mas Nou or in any other remote area at the distance from civilization. I absolutely don’t understand what the fun is – to jump out of bed from the roar of Jericho trumpets at 5 in the morning … For sure, if someone likes it – just send me an address, I will drive up somehow, will turn on my favorite music for you early in the morning at full volume and we will have some fun together! 😁
- 13:00-14:00 – a rather funny contest, which will be held on the Plaça Major in Playa de Aro. Participants are invited to climb up a slippery pillar with a jamon leg hanging on top of it. Advance appointment by phone and email mentioned above.
- 14:00 – Arrosada – group eating of traditional Catalan rice, the Palace of Sports and Congresses. Ticket costs 5 Euros at the tourist office.
- 22:30 – disco in the Palace of Sports and Congresses.
4. Saturday, February 22.
- 11:00 – carnival procession for teams that do not participate in the competition.
- 16:00 – the apotheosis of carnival – on the main street of Playa de Aro there will be a procession of the teams that take part in the competition. Everything else can be skipped, but this part of the carnival – never!
- 22:00 – carnival ball in the Palace of Sports and Congresses.
- 23:00 – presentation of prizes to the winning teams of the carnival procession; also in the Palace of Sports and Congresses.
5. Wednesday February 26th.
- 19:30 – the tragicomic end of the carnival – the funeral of the sardine; the beginning of the funeral procession at the city hall.
We already wrote about what the carnival procession in Playa de Aro looks like; if you have time and desire, you can read and see here – Carnival 2016, and here – Carnival 2015.
In conclusion, we wish you all a good mood and a fun Carnival!